You are probably better off getting familiar with the command line
interface, and using a text editor such as nano to edit config files with.
rather than using a graphical editor.

Permissions are changed and set in the standard Linux way.  If the files
are owned by another user, such as root, a method to edit them is to use
sudo before the command eg sudo nano weewx.conf