Pier,

I've got to say, that if Tom reckons he's found a bug in the code that may
be causing it, I've got to defer to him. I can glean a few errors by
reading the logs - carefully - but I really know naught when it comes to
those who've actually written and therefore understand the code!

And having admitted that. It's still NOT a good thing to pull the plug on
the pi. You do risk scrambling the system at some time, whether that be
weewx files (database etc.) or otherwise (system logs come to mind).
Have you noticed any fsck's on startup - file system checks. Displayed at
the console during boot up; or buried in syslog if you miss that display.

If you want to pursue a slightly more robust system, one that may stand up
to some plug pulling then I'll suggest the link below my sig to rorpi.
That's a HowTo on configuring the pi's SDCard as read only. It won't
totally prevent corruption but should reduce the chances of it happening.
There's less risk of interrupting filesystem writes during a power failure,
if you're not writing to the media! Writeable areas are still vulnerable of
course.  Swings and roundabouts.

As regards the weewx files. I've had the tmpl (skin templates in
/etc/weewx/skin) files open with a text editor, actively saving them and
experienced bizarre behaviour - bizarre until I realized that It was my
action of saving that was causing cheetah to skip the html generation with
errors. From memory, partial files were being parsed by weewx - as though
it got them mid save.  It was a hard one to nail down as it's all dependent
on the save/weewx timing - plus I was still using my weewx training wheels.

As for the tmp files, wait for Tom's reply. I think he has your problem
area targeted a little closer than I :-)

Cheers
 Glenn

rorpi-raspberry pi + weewx: now with scripts
<https://github.com/glennmckechnie/rorpi-raspberrypi>