> Why does it need a clock time? For datalogging while RPi is down?
>
> While, in theory, I don't have a problem adding support for the Dekay
library to the vantage driver, the solutions we have come up with so far
are very ad hoc, and can fail in other ways. For example, if the driver
detects a very out-of-date clock, how does it know it's talking to a Dekay
board with no RTC, versus a Vantage console that happens to be out-of-date?

It's always a much better solution to improve the emulation, rather than
workaround any shortcomings.

-tk​