I run my Weewx on Raspberry Pi and on a  "PC" (Ebox 3350 and Ubuntu 10).
Both have the OS on an SD/SDHC-card.

Now, I find it messy to create a backup image:
1. Halt system
2. Power down
3. Remove SD-card
4. Put in laptop and create an image to file (5-10 min)
5. Insert SD-card in taget again and power up.
6. Write image file to new SD-card (15-20 min).

(NB! I have noted that not all 16GB SD-card have the exact same size, it
varies quite a lot. This became an issue the trying to find a new SD-card
for the one that failed..)

This procedure takes time and requires quite a lot of physical intervention.

Is there any way of to create or maintain an updated image from the running
system. Maybe it's Ok to just backup some files (user installed)?

Also, it would be nice to have this "backup SD" as an alternative boot
SD-card in case the primary one fails. I don't know if that is possible..