Very nice. I considered flower pots for the radiation shield also, but then
that wouldn't align with your snowflake theory, would it?

I like both Sparkfun and Adafruit's ecosystem. Phant looks interesting. I'm
reading temperature and humidity in the house using an Adafruit Feather
Huzzah publishing over wifi to the MQTT broker. weewx subscribes to the
MQTT broker to get the data. Powered by a wall wart, but the Feather has
the capability of charging a battery. So in theory I could cut the cord
there too.

My main goal is to harvest power from the PV cell on the top of the
lantern. It maxes out at about 25 mW at 3.2 volts. I should be able to
easily get 30 mAh every day, and a lot more than that on a sunny day. My
station averages about 25 mAh consumption per day. I've made no attempt to
cut power consumption on board, e.g there is a small power LED that is
always on.

I'm working on a circuit provided by LInear
Technologies: http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/design-note/dn491.pdf, which
boosts almost any voltage to Li-ion charging levels. No success yet, mainly
because of the difficulty of working with parts with millimeter dimensions.

You're dealing with a much higher power regime. But sounds like you have
some good power management strategies going. You might be able to reduce
your power needs by going to low power radios instead of wifi?