Good Evening All, please excuse this Noob!

In a bit of a pickle, I've got a Vantage Vue that has been working fine
over the past two years, data ported through to WU via a Rpi (using the
Debian Stretch).  Weewx is up to date (v 3.8.0).

Had a power cut this evening for a couple of hours, when the power came
back on weeWx pulled a record from the Vue and published it (the record
data was erroneous), after this, nothing.

Having recently upgraded to Stretch from Jessie I then switched back to
Jessie (changed SD card) and in the syslog I saw that weeWx pulled and
published two day's worth of records from the Vue (switched to Stretch two
days ago) up until the time of the erroneous record (that was generated
just after the power came back up).

I tried resetting the Vue (logger issue?) to no avail, same issue occurred.
So switched back to Stretch and the issue was still there.

Went into the weeWx.conf file and changed the record_generation from
'hardware' to 'software' (archive service generation) and now all is
working fine!

Does anyone have an idea of what's gone wrong and what are the implications
of switching from hardware to software in the longer term?

Many thanks

Dave