OK, thanks. I thought it was a bit strange that there were two different
.sdb files in the example.

Anyway, I did it again as you suggested and it seems to have worked in that
the gusts have been nulled, but now that I've restarted weewx it says I've
just had a metre of rain! https://www.globalwanderings.co.uk/weather/
Back to the drawing board I guess.

Richard