I agree wit2h you if he only requires max, min fior the day.  If however he
wants all readings fior the previous 24 hrs then I think weewx report is
not the correct route.

Anyways - looping around in a template I don't think is that simple either
and almost ends up more convoluted than a simple program!!

But it is horses for courses I guess.  I prefer cron for single daily tasks.