is alltime.rain.max giving rain total or maximum rainrate??

NOAA just gives daily rain total doesn't it?

Have you tried just adding up the rain values in the database for the
specific date?   Is NOAA correct or incorrect for that date?
Have you tried looking for the highest rainrate in the database
select dateTime, max(rainrate) from archive where 1;  does it give 15.6 by
any chance??

I assume the alltime tag is returning a rainrate value since a time is
specified - if it was a rain total then I would expect time to always be
midnight.