Well, I have followed Pat's guide and reconfigured my server's mosquitto
install.
Websockets is a mysterious beast.
This is what I get when I open my weather webpage:
1539079347: SNI: Unknown ServerName: ftp.ghammer.net
1539079348: Socket error on client <unknown>, disconnecting.
1539079348: SNI: Unknown ServerName: ftp.ghammer.net
1539079368: SNI: Unknown ServerName: ftp.ghammer.net

However, that is the server's name and the name in the SSL cert.
1539077963: Initial logging level 5
1539077963: Libwebsockets version: 2.0.3 unknown-build-hash
1539077963: IPV6 not compiled in
1539077963: libev support compiled in but disabled
1539077963: libuv support compiled in but disabled
1539077963:  Threads: 1 each 1024 fds
1539077963:  mem: platform fd map:  8192 bytes
1539077963:  Compiled with OpenSSL support
1539077963: Creating Vhost 'default' port 9001, 3 protocols
1539077963:  Using SSL mode
1539077963:  SSL ECDH curve 'prime256v1'
1539077963:  Listening on port 9001
1539077963:  mem: per-conn:          920 bytes + protocol rx buf
1539077963:  canonical_hostname = ftp.ghammer.net
1539077964: lws_protocol_init

After about 15 minutes, voila!
All is working with zero changes to any config.
Quite puzzled, but not touching a thing.