I rarely cut & paste when configuring.

I too have found that restarting any service doesn’t always produce good
results.  I just stop then start things.

I’ll post my config files later as an example for others.

I’m just happy to have it running in house at long last.

The public test.mosquitto.org was not real reliable.

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 7:45 AM Philip Kutzenco <kutze...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mosquitto is fussy, especially about its config files. In Pat's guide, he
> mentions that extra spaces at the end of lines messes things up. He says
> Mosquitto sometimes needs to be restarted completely. I found that
> Mosquitto also requires a newline at the end of config files. If you start
> (or restart) Mosquitto and it sees something it doesn't like in a config
> file, it immediately exits. Starting Mosquitto again, even if you first fix
> any errors in the config files, causes it to fail immediately again.
>
> For me, issuing a stop command first (sudo /etc/init.d/mosquitto stop) and
> then starting it (sudo /etc/init.d/mosquitto start) works. My theory  (with
> no real evidence :-)) is that when Mosquitto exits badly, it leaves its pid
> file, or some other flag, in place. When you try to start Mosquitto again,
> it sees that the pid file is there and won't start. If you first issue the
> stop command, Mosquitto clears the pid (or some other flag) which allows it
> to start when issued a start command.
>
> I wonder if Mosquitto was unhappy about starting or restarting cleanly for
> you because of a leftover artifact, which cleared itself after time? Just
> speculation with no evidence.
>
> Glad you have it running, at least.
>
> phil
>
> On Tuesday, October 9, 2018 at 6:27:24 AM UTC-4, G Hammer wrote:
>>
>> Well, I have followed Pat's guide and reconfigured my server's mosquitto
>> install.
>> Websockets is a mysterious beast.
>> This is what I get when I open my weather webpage:
>> 1539079347: SNI: Unknown ServerName: ftp.ghammer.net
>> 1539079348: Socket error on client <unknown>, disconnecting.
>> 1539079348: SNI: Unknown ServerName: ftp.ghammer.net
>> 1539079368: SNI: Unknown ServerName: ftp.ghammer.net
>>
>> However, that is the server's name and the name in the SSL cert.
>> 1539077963: Initial logging level 5
>> 1539077963: Libwebsockets version: 2.0.3 unknown-build-hash
>> 1539077963: IPV6 not compiled in
>> 1539077963: libev support compiled in but disabled
>> 1539077963: libuv support compiled in but disabled
>> 1539077963:  Threads: 1 each 1024 fds
>> 1539077963:  mem: platform fd map:  8192 bytes
>> 1539077963:  Compiled with OpenSSL support
>> 1539077963: Creating Vhost 'default' port 9001, 3 protocols
>> 1539077963:  Using SSL mode
>> 1539077963:  SSL ECDH curve 'prime256v1'
>> 1539077963:  Listening on port 9001
>> 1539077963:  mem: per-conn:          920 bytes + protocol rx buf
>> 1539077963:  canonical_hostname = ftp.ghammer.net
>> 1539077964: lws_protocol_init
>>
>> After about 15 minutes, voila!
>> All is working with zero changes to any config.
>> Quite puzzled, but not touching a thing.
>>
>> On Monday, October 8, 2018 at 5:52:39 PM UTC-4, Philip Kutzenco wrote:
>>>
>>> The answer to that question is no. I've attached a file with sanitized
>>> excerpts of my weewx.conf file showing the stanzas related to:
>>>
>>> 1. MQTT (publishing) - which specifies a username and password but not
>>> websocket (port 8883 - SSL not websocket)
>>> 2. Belchertown Highcharts
>>> 3. Belchertown (subscribing) - which specifies websockets but no