Steve,

I should have read all of this old thread, the answer to the wild gauge
scaling issue was at this post
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/weewx-user/BNTMCfeC30E/5y4yKDksR7IJ>.
Thought I had a sense of* déjà vu.*

On Thursday, 25 October 2018 01:47:15 UTC+10, Steve2Q wrote:

> Gary..I followed your steps 1 through 4. I have not yet  uncomment the
> [[SteelSeries]] section of weewx.conf

Not quite sure what you mean here, you say you have not yet uncommented the
[[SteelSeries]] section but step 1 asked you to comment out the section? No
matter, when I look at your site I notice that gauge-data.txt is not in
Weather/ss. That is what we want so I guess you did comment out or
otherwise disable the [[SteelSeries]] section.

> I now have (on the Weewx machine) gauge_data.txt under /weewx/public_htm

gauge-data.txt is on the web server under /Weather and is being updated on
> my 2 minute archive period.

This gauge-data.txt is being produced by rtgd and as you say is being
updated every 2 minutes - something to come back to later but rtgd should
be producing gauge-data.txt on every loop packet (though you can slow it
down) but yours appears to be produced every archive period - we can come
back to this later. Bottom line is we have the rtgd produced gauge-data.txt
making its way to your web server, that is what we want. We just need to
make a change to gauges.js to point to this gauge-data.txt and all should
be good. To point gauges.js to the rtgd produced gauge-data.txt:

1. on your web server edit Weather/ss/scripts/gauges.js
2. locate the following line (circa line 62) :

realTimeUrlWeewx : 'gauge-data.txt', // *** WeeWX Users: Change to your
location of the gauge data file ***

and change it to:

realTimeUrlWeewx : '../gauge-data.txt', // *** WeeWX Users: Change to your
location of the gauge data file ***

3. save gauges.js
4. refresh your gauges page in your browser

I cannot find a any real time gauge data config settings.

Have a look in weewx.conf, you should find a stanza similar to the
following (it usually ends up at the bottom of the file):

[RealtimeGaugeData]
    date_format = %Y.%m.%d %H:%M
    rtgd_path = /home/weewx/public_html
    rtgd_file_name = gauge-data.txt