They just keep coming don't they!

What is happening with the FtpGenerator error is that when rtgd creates
gauge-data.txt it actually builds the file in gauge-data.txt.tmp and once
the file is complete it is copied to gauge-data.txt. This is known as an
atomic write and is done to lessen the chance that gauge-data.txt is open
for writing (by rtgd) and thus unavailable for access by other processes.
The .tmp file is created in the same directory as gauge-data.txt. When
FtpGenerator kicks off it gathers the details of the files it is to upload
and then works its way through uploading each in turn (so it could be some
seconds after gathering the list that the file is uploaded), if the .tmp
file exists when the FtpGenerator gathers its list of files it is included
for upload but if the .tmp file is subsequently removed you get the
FtpGenerator error you are seeing. If you like, the holes in the swiss
cheese are aligning to cause the error, the more frequent gauge-data.txt is
produced and the more frequent the FtpGenerator is run the more chance of
the holes aligning and the error occurring.

The long term fix is for me to change rtgd to create the .tmp file
somewhere that is unlikely to be uploaded by the FtpGenerator. You can work
around the issue by changing the location in which that gauge-data.txt is
created. Edit weewx.conf and under [RealtimeGaugeData] comment out the
rtgd_path setting (it will then use the default of /var/tmp) or change it
to something else not used by weeWX. Save weewx.conf and restart weeWX or
do a config reload. If you are transferring the rtgd generated
gauge-data.txt to a remote server the location of gauge-data.txt is not
important, it's location is only important if using the file on the weeWX
machine (eg your weeWX machine is also your web server) but in such cases
chances are you are not uploading via FTP.

Gary

PS. I'll drop you an email sometime re astronomy to hear what you are up to.