When the wind speed is zero then the direction is deliberately set to None,
so you can only check direction when there is some wind.  That rule applies
both to average and to gust readings.

When you set debug=1 you also need to check which debug suboptions are set
in the wmr300 section of the config file...
You  should set:
debug_decode=1
debug_packet=1

All the other suboptions  should be zero for your testing.(simply to avoid
clutter)

Cameron.