On Friday, July 26, 2019 at 12:35:34 PM UTC-7, gjr80 wrote:

>  The WeeWX installer does not ‘install’ the WeeWX logwatch files, rather
> the user must install them separately as per the wiki. The suggested
> approach is to create symlinks (in the relevant logwatch directories) to
> the supplied files.

Agree - if you want to install the utility once and thereafter run it
unedited then you get free upgrades essentially afterward if the copy that
comes with weewx changes.  Same for the systemd or init.d startup files or
anything else that needs to hook into the os as either a mandatory thing or
optional user-installed utility.

Of course you can make a copy of the script elsewhere, modify it to suit
> your needs and then link to that file instead (this is what I do). Problem
> is if there is a change to the core WeeWX logging, and the WeeWX logwatch
> script is changed accordingly, then those logwatch script changes will not
> flow through to the copied/modified script being used.

Of course.  If you choose to edit it you are taking the responsibility to
own your edited copy and handle any breakage if weewx moves under your
feet, so to speak, in a future release.

The other approach is to create another separate script, a link for which
> can be placed in the appropriate logwatch directory. Works fine but you
> will now have a second logwatch report being produced, it will not be part
> of the logwatch report produced by the logwatch script shipped with WeeWX.
> Have never been a sysadmin but I don’t think either approach is appropriate
> or acceptable.

I've been a sysadmin for 30+ years and would say there are a variety of
appropriate/acceptable approaches especially when logging is involved.

Personally I like componentization and the ability to turn stuff on+off as
well as the ability to add new things.  That's why I like .d directories so
much (or sites-enabled if you think webservers etc.).

The risk I think I'm trying to bring up is there seems to be a natural
tension between making weewx infinitely extensible+configurable vs. keeping
it 'wee'.    My opinion is this particular one's original request violates
the 'keep it wee' mindset perhaps, maybe, depending on implementation.

It's kinda like crontabs.   You violate 'wee' if you just edit the system
crontab.  You are nice and componentized if you use crontabs (directory)
and drop in pieces as components you can easily add/supersede/delete into
what happens as an aggregated whole.

If logwatch could be made to work that way, seems worth thinking about
trying to do when getroundtoit happens.