Thanks. Starting to reach the limits of my expertise but I don't think
there is anything wrong with the /etc/init.d/weewx script; rather I think
there is some other fundamental problem. The run script is identical to the
distributed Debian based version and since you can start and stop WeeWX via
/etc/init.d/weewx its permissions are fine. Can you have a look in
/etc/rc0.d, /etc/rc1.d, etc up to /etc/rc6.d. Is there a link in each to
/etc/init.d/weewx ? The command

$ sudo update-rc.d weewx defaults 98

should have created those links athis is what starts/stops WeeWX during
boot and shutdown. /etc/rc0.d, /etc/rc1.d and /etc/rc6.d should have links
named K01weewx whereas the others should have links named S01weewx, eg:

etc/rc6.d:
 2929 lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root   15 Jun 12 16:41 K01weewx -> ../init.d/weewx

and

/etc/rc5.d:
 2911 lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root   15 Jun 12 16:41 S01weewx -> ../init.d/weewx

I would also like to understand why WeeWX is starting with the 'Started
Daemon to control my Weewx weather station.' message and why the loop
packets and archive records are appearing in the log. I know you have
provided a log when WeeWX was running but it was only a brief extract plus
debug was turned off. Can you edit /home/weewx/weewx.conf, set debug = 1,
save weewx.conf and then restart WeeWX. Let WeeWX run for at least three
archive periods and then post a log extract showing from just before WeeWX
was started through until the three archive periods elapsed.

Gary