Thanks Gary.

For my particular situation, I might ask the author (which is myself, haha)
of the weewx extension that is getting the inverter data from the REST
interface, if he could implement in a way so that it is not backfilled in
the usual way. Maybe an approach could be to only retrieve single values if
the timestamp for the requested value is not older than x-times an interval
and let it check for gaps afterwards. A call for all the values in the last
24 hours in a 5-min interval only take another second or so longer than it
takes for a single reading.
With this approach I have to take care of getting things right with the
corresponding archive_day_-table.

Or I could implement a cache which holds all the values since the latest
good record up until now and return the cached value, if cached, if not, it
asks for all values since the newest good record, and caches it. Should
work with some kind of static key-value-pairs variable.