Hello,

On Thursday, April 2, 2020 at 4:34:46 PM UTC-4, Wes Witt wrote:

> how about implementing a design that allows for weather forecast
> extensions/plugins. then regional plugins can be built and allow the user
> to choose the weather forecast service that is best for them. this way you
> don't need a single service that works for everyone. it can be very
> difficult to find a service that works everywhere and if you can find one
> it may result in a low bar terms of quality and features from the service.

I was thinking the exact same thing as it doesn't make sense for every skin
author to have to implement forecasting from scratch. There are many API's
and there won't be one that works for everyone everywhere.

The weewx-forecast extension (https://github.com/matthewwall/weewx-forecast),
already handles the following weather forecasting services:

  US National Weather Service (NWS)
  the weather underground (WU)
  open weathermap (OWM)
  UK Met Office (UKMO)
  Aeris Weather
  World Weather Online (WWO)
  Dark Sky (DS)
  Zambretti

The extension also handles tide predictions using xtide.

My thought was to enhance the weewx-forecast extension to:

   - Output a generic JSON file that can be loaded via Ajax into a theme. As
much as possible, the JSON would be generated in a manner that's consistent
across different API implementations to make it easier to incorporate into a
skin.
   - Output one or more include files that can be included into other skins.

Skins like Belchertown can incorporate this output using either method as
appropriate. The end result is it would be far easier for skin maintainers to
expand forecasting options.

The benefit to this approach is the ability to support many more options for
forecasting more widely. However, a small drawback is users of WeeWX will have
to install another extension and configure it in addition to the selected skin.

-Bill