On Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 4:35:50 AM UTC-4, Messy Potamia wrote:

> Well I knew that was too good to be true.

the first error you posted, regarding 'platform_system' NameError, is
probably due to an old version of setuptools.  to fix that, update the
setuptools for the python installation associated with the 'pip' version
that you are invoking.

> May 26 10:30:21 RPI3 weewx[21915]: sftpgenerator: upload not possible: No
> module named pysftp

that indicates the python with which you are invoking weewx does not have
pysftp installed.  perhaps you installed pysftp for python3 but you are
using python2 to invoke weewx?

dog's breakfast indeed.  welcome to the world of python dependencies!
(this is why we try really hard to keep weewx dependencies to a minimum)

one way to avoid this is to install your own python, completely independent
of the system's python.  then use the 'pip' from that python installation
to install all of the python packages you need.  you may still have to
install the build environment and the occasional dev package for your
operating system.

the you can use that python by setting it in /etc/default/weewx (if you
have a deb/apt or rpm/yum/dnf install) or by invoking it when you do
'setup.py install' (if you have a setup.py install of weewx).