> I was hoping to avoid USB<=>RS232 converters, as I understood they were
> problematic (in the past) and would add another thing-to-go-wrong.  I have
> one other old device to monitor and it too has only an RS232 interface.
> Thought I'd be clever and get a low power box with two RS232 ports.

FWIW, i've been running a VP2 with serial datalogger and a serial2usb
dongle for something like 10 years now.   I started with a Shuttle mini-pc
that had serial ports and switched to a little arm box that just has USB.
 Never had an issue with the serial2usb from day one.  Works great.

You basically just want to make sure you get the right chipset in the
adaptor.  Anything with the PL2303 definitely works.  Both mine have that
chipset, and they were picked up years apart from different suppliers, so
they used to be pretty much what you always got.  I haven't looked in years
to know if that's still the case.

I'm running on a Seagate Dockstar (a 128MB RAM version of the original
PogoPlug) with a Seagate laptop drive plugged in, and you can see the
serial adaptor available in the lsusb output below.

root@debian:~# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bc2:2120 Seagate RSS LLC
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial
Port