Hi Greg,

I personally would try to get everything done with a solution that's as
close to off-the-shelf as possible. WeeWX certainly can help you getting
data from the off-the-shelf devices and relay them in any other form. What
are the real issues in such events? The amount of rain, or the river stage?
Yes, they are connected, but two years ago, a couple of villages just a
couple of kilometers from my station, were heavily flooded, my station
reported much rain, but just a few km away the amount of rainfall was more
than triple of the amount that fell at my location. So even with a rather
dense network of stations, there is a good chance to miss a huge part of
what is happening. Wouldn't it be more significant to measure the levels of
rivers and creeks upstream?
Are power and communication infrastructure outages, during such events, an
issue?