Klaus Darilion wrote:

Hi Julien!

I like openwengo because AFAIK it's the only nice looking open source SIP softphone for Windows. But to make it even more attractive, openwengo ng should:

- being buildable on Windows with free software. That means free qt4 + mingw. I've tried several times but never suceeded. Open source software which can't be built without commercial products are useless for most developers.

Meanwhile It is buildable with QT4/GPL edition and MSVC.NET. GUI is buildable with MINGW. The VOIP engine (wifo/...) is not buildable for the moment with MINGW but it does build on Linux with GCC so adapattion to mingw should be really easy and we're accepting patches

- being independent of wengo. Probably this is against your/wengo's business case, but a configuration option (not a compile option) which tells openwengo the http URL to download the provisiong data, or an option to allow direct configuration of the SIP configuration is necessary.

in Softphone-classic/trunk the URL for provisioning data is read from a settings file

- calling outside the home domain. I do not know if this is doable with ng, but I tried classic and it did not worked to dial any SIP URI outside the local domain just by entering the SIP URI, eg. sip:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Also the buddy list and presence should be open to all SIP domains.

it DOES work...

regards
klaus

Julien Gilli wrote:

Hello,

We want to pull your attention on the fact that the wengo team is going to
put a major focus on the wengophone NG in the next weeks.

Wengophone "Classic" is fully functional under win32, and still has some
annoying bugs under some distros of GNU/Linux that we are busy trying to
fix.

Having preprared the ground for quite some months now, we know that the
"wengophone NG" codebase is now more than promising (we already have video working on windows, GNU/Linux and MacOSX). It has a much nicer design and it
is now able to evolve much more rapidly than Classic.

Therefore, we have decided to put a LOT of attention on the NG in the next weeks. We are convinced that this is the way of the future for openwengo :
better gui, better architecture, better interoperability, ..., better
everything

There is no magic : a *lot* of attention on NG means *less* attention on the
Classic from our part.

This is why we invite to do the same, so that we all head together in the
same direction.

Feel free to post your comments, and let's rock with NG !

All the best,

Ps: All resources devoted to Classic (Wiki, tickets module, subversion repository, etc.) will stay available, and we might update them from time to time. We might even release further versions if we feel the need to do so, but we would prefer it not to happen since we are
convinced that NG is the way to go.

We won't prevent anyone from using Classic's resources too (when the Trac registration module is back, so that you have the right to update things), but we hope you will consider using and contributing to NG instead.

Be sure that we'll receive Classic's contributions with as much care as usual, but we may not have time to devote enough time to it.

- Julien Gilli
OpenWengo, the free and multiplatform VoIP client
http://www.openwengo.com/