Hi Andreas,

Andreas Schneider wrote:
> Klaus Darilion wrote:
>> I wonder how you deal with AMR license restrictions - does Wengo pays
>> for the AMR license or is it the users task to get an AMR license?
>
> WengoPhone is developed in Europe, so we don't have any software patents here.
> If the user lives in a country which has software patents like the USA, the
> user needs a license to use WengoPhone.

This is probably inaccurate - there are applicable patents for most
software in the EU as well (although as of yet, none of them have come
before a judge - partly for fear of having the patents struck down,
probably).

> AMR codecs incorporate several patents, held by Ericsson, Universite de
> Sherbrooke (VoiceAge) and Nokia. VoiceAge claims to provide patent portfolio
> for AMR codecs. Depending on law in your country, manufacturers and developers
> may need to get a license. Because it is a shared library, you may need a
> special contract for each one application, which links against this library,
> directly or indirectly.

First: as a free software project we may not do something like pay for a
distribution licence, and not allow our users the same rights we have.
So I can confirm that we don't have a licence for the patents.

Next: my personal opinion is that we are better off as a project
ignoring patent issues until they actually need dealing with. We could
distribute handicapped, under-functional, useless software with no
patent issues, or we can try to deliver the best softphone that we can
which implies codec support, and worry about patents when we need to.

I suppose I don't need to add a disclaimer saying "this is not official
policy, and does not constitute an acknowledgement that we implement
anything covered by patents, blah, blah". But there goes anyway.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary