Thank you Mr. Tabu Butagira for bringing up this issue to remind us about
the plight of the ordinary people who are enduring this discrimination at
Pakwach. I do believe our elected officials who should have been at the
forefront of this issue have never experienced the discrimination, as such
they have never felt the pain of these inspections at Pakwach. On several
occasions when coming to Kampala, I have had serious exchanges with the
security officials as to why they are asking for IDs when not everyone in
Uganda has not been issued an ID. I remember this one time when they almost
did not want to go because I intentionally refused to show them my ID, and
some other passenger whom they probably knew intervened and they let me go.
With Tabu's article in the Monitor newspaper, this issue is now a national
issue which we must as a community push. I would suggest that instead of
approaching these elected officials who have never thought of addressing
this issue as they travel constantly to and from Kampala through Pakwach,
we have draft a petition and deliver it to the Speaker of the parliament in
person. We need to do the relevant reach which provides us with the right
ammunition for the petition and follow it at Parliament as concerned civic
group from West Nile. Perhaps because our elected officials are not
affected by this ID inspections, they do not seem to feel the pain of the
ordinary people. I think the ball is in our court to take the necessary
steps to address this issue which I believe should not have a political
insinuation in anyway.