As Kenya's Raila Odinga withdraws from the upcoming Oct 26th election
repeat, Kenya is now using the slogan "No reforms, no elections". He is
basically saying that no new measures have been taken to guarantee a free
and fair election. He sees the same situation conducted by the same people
repeating itself.
However this "No reforms, No elections" slogan is the same one that Ugandan
opposition leaders were proclaiming prior to the 2016 general elections.
The difference is that Ugandan opposition leaders and civil society then
abandoned this important endeavour in broad daylight. An endeavour which
was designed to ensure that the real choice of the people is determined.
The opposition leaders and civil​ society instead joined an election that
they themselves had said was going to be fraudulent.
Kenyans on the other hand are doing the complete opposite.
I am one of the very few who have been complaining about what the Ugandan
opposition did to the country's democracy when they all abandoned what they
claimed to be fighting for and rushed to get nominated at Namboole stadium
so as to join the 2016 electoral farce.
Kenya is teaching us many things these days. First, the integrity of the
Supreme Court justices, and now they are probably teaching our opposition
parties to withdraw from any election that they know in advance will be
fraudulent. Kenyans have thereby refused to legitimise any questionable
exercise by knowingly participating in it. I hope our weak Ugandan
opposition politicians/
political parties/civil society are observing the lesson. Lets see how this
situation unfolds.

By Hussein Lumumba Amin
10/10/2017
Kampala, Uganda