After Mr. Robert Mugabe coming out a few days ago and crying foul over his
predicament, let us take a quick learned look at democracy, it's basic
principals and its core values from the Zimbabwe case study. For the record
I haven't yet got the time to listen to the full interview, but:

1- Wasn't President Robert Mugabe a civilian leader?

2- Wasn't he elected by his political party and more importantly, by the
people of Zimbabwe?

3- Was he deposed by the people, an election, or by force?

So where are all the so-called "democratic forces" in this case?

On the contrary, all those usually claiming to stand for democracy,
including the EU, the US, the African Union and most African political
activists paid by the west, all summarily abandoned their own much-hyped
democratic credentials and started applauding a coup and an unelected
leader. I do not know the new leader, therefore I really am not against him
personally.

But general elections were held in Zimbabwe on 31 July 2013. The incumbent
President, Robert Mugabe, was re-elected by the people of Zimbabwe, whilst
his ZANU–PF party won a two-thirds majority in the House of Assembly.

Moreso, another election was already scheduled for this year 2018.

So can we now say that the so-called "Democratic forces" have become
patently opportunistic in nature whereby they quickly claim to be "fighting
for democracy and human rights" as a mere excuse that they use when it
suits their need to get power, but summarily dump all decorum when
democracy is against their ulterior inner urges?

I remember being shocked to read a full public statement issued by a
Ugandan opposition party which usually claims to fight for democracy, the
rule of law, and respect for constitutionalism, yet here they were
supporting military force by armed coup plotters in Zimbabwe against the
duely elected leader.

Surprisingly, the same party regularly tells Ugandans; "We do not support
the use of force to oust Mr. Museveni."

So where exactly do such people stand?

I once complained how in Uganda they abandoned their quest for free and
fair elections in 2015 under the 'No Reforms, No Elections' campaign.
Suddenly all of them wanted to be candidates in an election that they
themselves had been declaring that it was already completely rigged in
advance.

I find such politicians to be lucky that nobody is really holding them to
account for their glaring, disturbing and telling inconsistencies.

Maybe it is because Ugandans do not see any alternative to their current
politicians who have become their only hope even if they are going nowhere.

Rigged polls is dictatorship. A dictatorship that is trying to put on some
lipstick, Brazilian weaves, and fake butt implants.
And no matter how comfortable we individually feel with the new Zimbabwe
regime, if we look closely, it is also what it actually is: Illegitimate.

The struggle against tolerating all kinds of blatant opportunistic acts of
political mediocrity, that struggle is clearly still ahead of us Africans,
all political affiliations inclusive.

In regards to Mr. Robert Mugabe, even if many have been brainwashed to mock
or disrespect him, we should have all respected the constitutional
provisions that he was an elected president, and the civilized way to
change leaders was to simply wait for the people of Zimbabwe to express
themselves in a free and fair manner in the upcoming 2018 polls. This
discussion should not be sidelined for political expediency. The questions
raised are at the heart of what kind of solid institution building,
meaningful constitutionalism, and political stability we are able to
establish for the future anywhere in Africa.

So now Mr. Mugabe is being told that if he is not happy, he should go to
the courts. Let me state that this is exactly what he, or any concerned
Zimbabwean citizen should immediately do. Establish the dignity and
legitimacy of their institutions through justice and legal redress. We want
to uphold the rule of law, right?

Hussein Lumumba Amin
Kampala, Uganda
19/03/2018