As I watched the speeches at the annual World Economic Forum debates 2018
in Switzerland, It is clear that Europe is now quickly trying to replace
the US in leading the world following the global loss of respect in the US
presidency in the last year plus the dwindling global political influence
of the White House on issues ranging from climate change, to foreign aid,
military cooperation and economic alliances. The EU is also developing more
ambitious grand plans for being at the cutting edge of major technological
advancenents via increased funding. Some of the area's targeted for greater
research and productivity gains are medicine, artificial intelligence, and
not surprisingly, clean energy innovations. One of the biggest innovation
challenges the world is facing today is how to smoothly transition from
depletable carbon-heavy fuels, to sustainable low-cost clean energy
resources.
I totally agree with the French President who said in his speech that while
governments enact laws and policies to address countries difficulties, it
is our cultures, our common ways of thinking as societies that ultimately
create and/or solve the different array of problems in our different
countries/communities.
He also remarked that "Those who do not want to move forward should not
block the most ambitious."
Though he was talking about the policy squabbles between the 27 European
Union member nations, the point he was making is a reality in many areas of
human endeavour wherever people have to come together and contribute to a
common struggle/cause for their own betterment.
In Africa for example, whether it is nations or individuals, the behaviour
of blocking or pulling down those who are being more successful and/or
potentially more productive is probably one of the most understated causes
of continued underdevelopment and stagnation. It is also at the heart of
why it is difficult to have accord and smooth coordination amongst African
countries on global matters where we have common interests. Issues like
corruption, public theft, extortion, and the deliberate shelving of some
otherwise progressive development projects are all also part of causing
persistent poverty and socio-economic stagnation. In many instances, even
the best projects only launch after money is exchanged under the table. If
not they are deliberately stalled. What cultures/societal behaviour is
behind such mentalities? Especially when it is by people who are paid
monthly salaries as public servants to support and facilitate development?
In Africa therefore, those who genuinely succeed probably have had to make
twice or thrice the effort than a similarly successful person in developed
countries.
Meanwhile, I recommend that African leaders, from directors, permanent
secretaries, MP's, Ministers, Presidents, Kings, and young aspiring leaders
should all follow the annual discussions at the World Economic Forum and
similar events. Because leaders lead, they can only do so if they have a
greater awareness of all the local and global issues. I see such events are
an easy way to widen our own horizons, upgrade our own understanding of our
own challenges and their solutions, and improve our own leadership
perspectives by listening to what global political leaders, business
leaders, scientists and activists of different causes are debating as the
worlds priorities today and why.
Honestly speaking, the gap in level of thinking between some of the
presentations I watched and what some of our leaders are concerning
themselves with here, is quite troubling.
It means we have decades to go before we can achieve consensus on certain
critical issues simply because of ignorance, faulty prioritization, or
misunderstanding at a large scale. What really matters is sometimes
by-passed for other reasons.
I also recommend that the organizers (or any watchdog institutions) provide
an impact assessment of their event. In the years since it's inception, how
has the World Economic Forum impacted ordinary people around the world in
terms of human development parameters from the grassroots upwards. While
the forum provides a highly respected platform for world leaders to express
their philosophies and political views, listen to their peers and
learn/share new idea's, it is necessary to quantify or evaluate the forum's
real-terms impact if it is to become a more purposeful and more relevant
global institution in terms of setting, understanding, and communicating
socio-economic policy and concerns. A platform that serves everyone from
gobal industries to community development leaders for the benefit of the
ordinary people, rather than become some sort of political fashion show
that serves the self-gratification of a certain category of leaders and
so-called influential people. I listened to inspiring speeches but fear
that some are designed simply for the intellectualist appearance of the
occasion. While some attendees are surely utilising the platform for real
networking, real advancement of real agenda's/causes, therefore real
influencing of change, and real communication to address concrete
challenges, many others could be there just for the accolades, rendering it
one of the perks of arrivalism and prestige. Yet in my view the World
Economic Forum should be a leaders tool for the advancement of key causes
and solving of real-life problems in nations and communities around the
world.

By Hussein Lumumba Amin
26/01/2018