"Dan Harkless" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > I know I would.  Wget has been behaving like this since day 1, and
> > we should have a very compelling reason for changing the default.
>
> Hmm.  Well, haven't we changed a lot of other things that have been
> the case since day 1?

Things immediately visible to the most casual user?  I can't remember
any.

> I think the failure to properly mirror a server that runs both ftp
> and http is "very compelling", but perhaps most people would
> disagree.

Some of them would certainly disagree, but whether it's as good as
"most" is anyone's guess.  Wget is used for many different purposes,
and reliable mirroring is only one of them.  Balancing the default
behaviour between what is perceived "correct" from different camps is
not easy.  In this case, I'd vote for leaving things as they are.

> If we don't end up turning on the protocol directories by default,
> what about the non-80 ports in the hostname directories
> (e.g. site.com/... vs.  site.com:8080/...)?

I agree that that should be changed.  That change would affect only a
tiny fraction of users, with a very quick "a-ha!" about to what's
going on.