On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Hrvoje Niksic wrote:

> Mauro Tortonesi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Jeremy Reeve wrote:
> >
> >> I've written a trivial patch to implement the --disable-dns-cache feature
> >> as described in the TODO contained in the CVS tree.  I need to write the
> >> Changelog entry which I'll do and post to the patches list ASAP.
> >
> > you should probably not bother writing it.
>
> That's not quite true.
>
> > from the PATCHES file included in the wget distribution:
> >
> > ** ChangeLog policy.
> > --------------------
> >
> > Each patch should be accompanied by an update to the appropriate
> > ChangeLog file.  *** Please don't mail patches to ChangeLog because they
> > have an extremely high rate of failure; just mail us the new part of
> > the ChangeLog you added. *** [I added the highlight]
>
> Perhaps the wording should have been more clear, but this means:
> please do write the ChangeLog entry and send it, but don't send an
> actual DIFF of the old and new ChangeLog, because such diffs don't
> apply cleanly more often than not.
>
> That is reiterated here:
>
> > Patches without a ChangeLog entry will be accepted, but this creates
> > additional work for the maintainers, so *** please do write the
> > ChangeLog entries. ***

you're right, hrvoje. when i answered jeremy's mail i was in a hurry. what
i wanted to say is:

you should probably not bother writing a correctly formatted ChangeLog,
but just send a simple report of the changes you've made.

sorry.

--
Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem...

Mauro Tortonesi                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Deep Space 6 - IPv6 with Linux  http://www.deepspace6.net
Ferrara Linux User Group        http://www.ferrara.linux.it