From: Mauro Tortonesi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> >    Ideally, the values used could be defined in some central location,
> > allowing convenient replacement with suitable VMS-specific values when
> > the time comes.  (Naturally, _all_ exit() calls and/or return statements
> > should use one of the pre-defined values.)
>
> mmh, i don't understand why we should use VMS-specific values in wget.

   On VMS (not elsewhere), Wget should use VMS-specific values.  The VMS
C RTL is willing to convert 0 into a generic success code, but 1 (EPERM,
"Not owner") and 2 (ENOENT, "No such file or directory") would tend to
confuse the users (and the rest of the OS).

   Having the exit codes defined in a central location would make it
easy to adapt them as needed.  Having to search the code for every
instance of "return 1" or "exit(2)" would make it too complicated.

   Steven M. Schweda               (+1) 651-699-9818
   382 South Warwick Street        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Saint Paul  MN  55105-2547