> I believe this is not actually a problem in wget itself but in the
> environment.  I don't generally use wget directly, but I use yum,
> which evidently does.  Yum stopped working a week or so ago and my
> attempt to debug leads to wget.
>
> The typical problem:
>   # wget http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/4/i386/RPMS.lvn/
>   --13:08:51--  http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/4/i386/RPMS.lvn/
>            => `index.html.1'
>   Resolving rpm.livna.org... failed: No such file or directory.
>
> If I replace rpm.livna.org with an ip address then things work.
> For now I'm making yum work by adding the repositories I need to
> /etc/hosts.  Incidentally, strace shows that /etc/resolv.conf is
> being read.  But tcpdump shows that no dns queries are sent.
>
> My real question is what could cause this behavior.
> If you also have some idea of what might have changed (probably
> due to automatic updates - FC4) in the last few weeks to cause this
> or for that matter, how to fix it, I'll be glad to hear about that
> too.

Please report these Fedora specific errors in http://bugzilla.redhat.com
I'll escalate them to this list if it is a real wget bug.

Do you happen to have "nisplus" 2cwin the "host" line in /etc/nsswitch.conf ?
You should remove that if you're not using nisplus.

   Karsten

--
 Karsten Hopp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   GPG 1024D/70ABD02C
 Fingerprint D2D4 3B6B 2DE4 464C A432 210A DFF8 A140 70AB D02C