I know this topic has been discussed before, but AFAICT it didn't really
get far. Neither side presented particularly compelling arguments
(IMHO), and so the burden of proof in arguing for change was not met.

==

Here are the reasons why I think moving to automake is the smart move:

  - Automatic tracking of GNU Coding Guidelines (which, in regard to
Makefiles at least, tend to be pretty good ideas, but somewhat hard to
implement/track without automake)
  - Automated packaging and package-testing
  - Automatic support for a wide variety of configuration and build
scenarios, such as configuring or building from a location other than
the source directory tree, or the DESTDIR late installation-location
variable.
  - Included ability to modify the binary names (we can currently kludge
this via $(exeext), but not to the degree that automake gives us this
automatically).
  - Mauro, when he first brought it up some time ago, pointed to the
fact that it has several grades of "clean", which can be useful for
various needs.
  - "nothing but" distribution list (also mostly automated), instead of
"everything but", which is superior IMO. This wouldn't be an argument
for Automake by itself, since we could do this fairly easily
ourselves... but little things add up.

==

Here are the arguments that I am currently aware of against using automake:

  - Complicated

I actually don't find this to be true. The arguments to this effect seem
to refer to the generated Makefiles.... but you don't _edit_ those.
There is the argument that they are harder to debug, but personally I've
never found this to be case; and I've had very little difficulty
grokking the Makefiles themselves, actually.

In terms of actually writing the Makefile.am documents, though, in
general it is actually much _easier_ than writing the plain Makefile
equivalents.

  - Support for non-recursive makes may not be great

This is from my personal experience, though I later found some good
solutions to the problems I had encountered. However, I believe this is
likely to be far less well-supported than recursive builds. However,
since Wget currently uses recursive builds, this really isn't an issue
for us.

  - Another thing to know

It's yet another tool for developers to have to learn. However, next to
having to grok autoconf and Make and NLS, it's not difficult to learn,
and IMO seems worth the nuisance, for the advantages that I've listed
earlier.

==

I obviously wouldn't be looking to make the move for our upcoming 1.11
release in September; but I would desire to make the move soon
thereafter. Since this was apparently something that some people felt
strongly about, I thought it'd be wise to broach the subject now, so we
have plenty of time to discuss it. So, please speak up!