On 10/9/07, Jim Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Oct 2007, Micah Cowan wrote:
>
> > As to whether or not it will be included in mainline Wget, that depends
> > on the answer to your question, "does this seem like something others of
> > you could use?" I, personally, wouldn't find it very useful (I rarely
> > use even --limit-rate), so I'd be interested in knowing who would. I
> > suspect that it may well be the case that most folks who have need of
> > - --limit-rate will find your version handy, but I want to hear from
> > them. :)
>
> I would appreciate and have use for such an option.  We often access
> instruments in remote locations (think a tiny island in the Aleutians)
> where we share bandwidth with other organizations.  As the other
> organizations are often involved in health and safety (Coast Guard,
> Alaska Tsunami Warning Center, etc.) we can not dominate the bandwidth.
> While --limit-rate might well be preferred in specific cases, having a
> --limit-percent option available as well would be nice.

[private response to limit list clutter]

Cool.  Good to hear of another user.  See the "Works For Me" version
(patch) in the other message.

Note though that my patch *does* dominate the bandwidth for about 15 seconds
to measure the available bandwidth before it falls back.  On my
network, it seemed
to take a few seconds before enough bytes were transferred to get a reasonable
measure.

--
Best Regards.
Tony