Jim Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> - --limit-rate will find your version handy, but I want to hear from
>> them. :)
>
> I would appreciate and have use for such an option.  We often access
> instruments in remote locations (think a tiny island in the Aleutians)
> where we share bandwidth with other organizations.

A limitation in percentage doesn't make sense if you don't know
exactly how much bandwidth is available.  Trying to determine full
bandwidth and backing off from there is IMHO doomed to failure because
the initial speed Wget gets can be quite different from the actual
link bandiwdth, at least in a shared link scenario.  A --limit-percent
implemented as proposed here would only limit the retrieval speed to
the specified fraction of the speed Wget happened to get at the
beginning of the download.  That is not only incorrect, but also quite
non-deterministic.

If there were way to query the network for the connection speed, I
would support the "limit-percent" idea.  But since that's not
possible, I think it's better to stick with the current --limit-rate,
where we give the user an option to simply tell Wget how much
bandwidth to consume.