On 10/12/07, Hrvoje Niksic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> The problem is that Wget simply doesn't have enough information to be
> >> unobtrusive.  Currently available bandwidth can and does change as new
> >> downloads are initiated and old ones are turned off.  Measuring
> >> initial bandwidth is simply insufficient to decide what bandwidth is
> >> really appropriate for Wget; only the user can know that, and that's
> >> what --limit-rate does.
> >
> > My patch (and the doc change in my patch) don't claim to be totally
> > unobtrusive [...] Obviously people who the level of unobtrusiveness
> > you define shouldn't be using it.
>
> It was never my intention to define a particular level of
> unobtrusiveness; the concept of being unobtrusive to other users was
> brought up by Jim and I was responding to that.  My point remains that
> the maximum initial rate (however you define "initial" in a protocol
> as unreliable as TCP/IP) can and will be wrong in a large number of
> cases, especially on shared connections.

Again, would an algorithm where the rate is re-measured periodically
and the initial-rate-error criticism were therefore addressed reduce
your objection to the patch?  Perhaps you can answer each idea I gave
separately:

a) full speed downloads (which re-measure channel capacity) followed
by long sleeps

b) speed ramps up to peak and then back down

> Not only is it impossible to
> be "totally unobtrusive", but any *automated* attempts at being nice
> to other users are doomed to failure, either by taking too much (if
> the download starts when you're alone) or too little (if the download
> starts with shared connection).

Again, I do not claim to be unobtrusive.  Merely to reduce
obtrusiveness.  I do not and cannot claim to be making wget *nice*,
just nicER.

You can't deny that dialing back is nicer than not.

--
Best Regards.
Please keep in touch.