On 11/4/07, Micah Cowan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Christian Roche has submitted a revised version of a patch to modify the
> unique-name-finding algorithm to generate names in the pattern
> "foo-n.html" rather than "foo.html.n". The patch looks good, and will
> likely go in very soon.

That's something I had meant to submit a bug report for a while back,
but somehow never found the time to do it. I guess it wasn't my top
priority since GNU/Linux is usually smart enough to ignore the file
extensions anyways.

> A couple of minor detail questions: what do you guys think about using
> "foo.n.html" instead of "foo-n.html"? And (this one to Gisle), how would
> this naming convention affect DOS (and, BTW, how does the current one
> hold up on DOS)?

Well, this problem is  mainly for win32 users, so I think we need to
keep sloppy coding in mind. It's been my experience that *man* win32
programs will treat everything after the first period as the file
extension.

Honestly, I don't see any reason to risk the annoyance of these kinds
of bugs. Just go with the dash.

(On a side note, have you thought of running FreeDOS in a virtual machine?)