Hrvoje Niksic wrote:
It just occurred to me that this change breaks backward compatibility.
It will break scripts that try to clean up after Wget or that in any
way depend on the current naming scheme

I'm also a bit hesitant about changing the way files get named.

With a .1 at the absolute end of the filename I _know_ this file got its name because there already was a file with the same name. If the new file instead is named filename-1.jpg I cannot be certain if this is because of a file collision, or if the original file really had this name, which of course it might have had.

If a script is supposed to restore the original filename of a downloaded file (perhaps for future downloads), it's easy to just cut the trailing number, it there is one. How could that be done in an easy and secure way if there is an eventual number before the extension, a number that I don't even know if it's part of the original filename or not?

And already having local files named -1.ext is not so uncommon. What happens if there is a local file with that name? -2.ext could be the answer, but that makes it really difficult to find downloaded files programmatically.

And how is .tar.gz renamed?  .tar-1.gz?

Sorry, but I'm not so sure about this..

--
Andreas