Ray,

You might want to offer a VPN tunnel from those machines to your network,
provided that the firewalls in question will allow that.... then you can
simply use that tunnel to monitor.

Plan B or is it C, install another WUG machine on their network?


Richard
-----Original Message-----
From: Morris, Scott [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, 6 June 2003 9:42 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: [WhatsUp Forum] Remote monitoring of PCs behind a firewall


It is most likely that the other company is not currently allow SNMP teaps
to go out, you may have to apply for that.  There isn't reason why they
shouldn't , but you should do a Risk Assessment sa so should they.  But it
should be possible.

Scott Morris
Senior Network Engineer
ORAU / ORISE
865-576-4672
'B' Schedule


-----Original Message-----
From: UMSA Internal Web [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2003 7:27 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [WhatsUp Forum] Remote monitoring of PCs behind a firewall


I have a problem that I'm not sure if I can actually work around.

I am in an environment when I have some machines that are behind someone
else's firewall. The location where the PCs are located will not open up
their firewall to me so I can monitor those machines.

So I thought I could do just basic problem monitoring using SNMP traps
generated from Win2K from the event logs via the Win2K SNMP service and
evntwin.

I thought this would work since this is a datagram that is sent from the
machine and doesn't require me to poke the machine from the outside of the
firewall. 

Does anyone know if this will work? I assume I'd have to create a map with
those machines on it and set the notifications based on the traps and turn
off polling. If I turn off polling does it still react to SNMP traps?

Has anyone else had to work in similar circumstances and if so what did you
do and how did it work?

Thanks in advance.

Ray Stevens
University Medical Services Assn


Please visit http://www.ipswitch.com/support/mailing-lists.html 
to be removed from this list.

An Archive of this list is available at:
http://www.mail-archive.com/whatsup_forum%40list.ipswitch.com/

Please visit http://www.ipswitch.com/support/mailing-lists.html 
to be removed from this list.

An Archive of this list is available at:
http://www.mail-archive.com/whatsup_forum%40list.ipswitch.com/



NOTICE: 
This e-mail and any attachments are privileged and confidential and 
may contain copyright material of Stellar Call Centres or third 
parties. If you are not an authorised recipient of this e-mail 
please delete this e-mail and any attachments and notify the sender 
immediately by return e-mail or by telephone on 02 9465 2222. 
In addition, if you are not an authorised recipient of this e-mail 
you should not use, store, print, copy, distribute, or act in reliance 
on this e-mail, any attachment to this e-mail, or any information 
contained in this e-mail or any attachment to this e-mail. 
If you are an authorised recipient of this e-mail please note that 
any views or opinions presented in this e-mail or any attachment to 
this e-mail are solely those of the individual sender, except where 
the sender specifically states them to be the views or opinions of 
the Stellar Call Centres. You should only re-transmit, distribute or 
commercialise the information contained in this e-mail and any 
attachments if you are authorised to do so. Stellar Call Centres 
respects your privacy. 
Our privacy policy can be viewed on our website:
www.stellarcallcentres.com.au

Please visit http://www.ipswitch.com/support/mailing-lists.html 
to be removed from this list.

An Archive of this list is available at:
http://www.mail-archive.com/whatsup_forum%40list.ipswitch.com/

Reply via email to