Matthew Raymond wrote:

The common use of onbeforeprint/onafterprint is to add content to a
document that is only relevant to printed media, this is something
that cannot be done with CSS, since CSS is optional, so if we just
hide content with CSS, we're stuck with the situation that users
without CSS or with an appropriate user stylesheet get it and get
confused.

   What about the browsers that don't support Javascript, or have it
turned off? Plus, what semantic content are you going to have that
shouldn't display in all media types? I suspect that if you have to add
or remove content for CSS-free user agents, you're probably using a lot
of presentational HTML markup.

I was thinking of the reverse. Scripts that add content for screen (helper widgets) but want them turned off (or at least show a different state) when printed.

Please remember that the WHATWG is about web applications not simple documents.

-dean