Ian Hickson wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Dean Edwards wrote:

The point is, I can do all sorts of things using script. Alter styles, create elements etc. But when I switch media, I have no programmatic way to alter those effects. Please specify I means to do this.

You don't "switch" media. It's quite possible to have multiple media all at the same time. For instance Opera can be in speech mode and in screen mode simultaneously. See the introduction to the Browsing Context section:

   http://whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#browsing

I'm getting fed up going round in circles trying to justify this.

OK, we don't switch media. But when I press "print" or invoke the print method, a copy of the DOM is sent to the printer. If I have altered the DOM by adding elements or by changing the style property then I would like to be able to undo those changes before my DOM goes to the printer. It is not good enough to say that I should start messing about with classes and so forth or that it is bad practice to amend the style property directly. So long as I can do these things I want a way to undo them before my DOM is sent to a print device.

-dean