Elliotte Harold wrote:

That means I have to send text/html to browsers (because that's the only thing they understand) and let my clients ignore that hint.

No.

As I understand it, the full chain of events should look like this:

 [Internal data model in server]

       HTML 5 Serializer

            {Network}

          HTML 5 Parser

 [Whatever client tools you like]

The only technical issue is that your HTML5 parser has to produce a data format that your other client tools like. If this involves the construction of an XML-like tree that's fine. But you should _never_ try to use an XML parser to produce the tree because it _will_ break with conforming HTML5 documents.