James Graham wrote:

As I understand it, the full chain of events should look like this:

 [Internal data model in server]

       HTML 5 Serializer

            {Network}

          HTML 5 Parser

 [Whatever client tools you like]

No and no. First of all everything after the {Network} step is my own damn business. Do not assume or attempt to mandate anything about what must consume the bits. An HTML 5 parser is one thing that might be used. However whether I use such a tool depends on my needs.

Secondly, that server model is only one possibility. Many servers have a model that does not involve anything more complicated than checking the filename extensions and then blindly copying bits onto the wire. For performance that's often necessary.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!