On May 29, 2007, at 18:10, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

I don't know of any ISO-8859 encodings requiring this, but for all unicode encodings and numeric entity references compatibility requires interpreting this range of code points in the WinLatin1 way.

I tested with Firefox 2.0.4, Minefield, Safari 2.0.4, WebKit nightly and Opera 9.20 (all on Mac). Only Safari 2.0.4 gives the DWIM treatment the C1 code point range in UTF-8 and UTF-16.

This makes me suspect that compatibility with the Web doesn't really require the DWIM treatment here. What does IE7 do?

The data I used:
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/test/utf-c1/

--
Henri Sivonen