As for case:

[Opera]
match for id or name is case-insensitive regardless of mime type.

[Firefox and Safari]
application/xhtml+xml
match for id is case-sensitive
text/html
match for name is case-insensitive

[IE6]
match for name or id is case-insenstive.

So, it seems it might have to be case-sensitive for xhtml5 (since
other things are case-sensitive in xml)  and case-insensitive for
html5. (Unless there's no need to be case-sensitive for XHTML5. If so,
then Opera's way would be cool.)

I don't see any need for it to be case-sensitive for XHTML5. :-)

[1] http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2007-April/010975.html

Since ID is case sensitive everywhere else, I don't see a reason to make an exception from that rule here. That seems to unnecessarily complicate implementation as well as introduce weird inconsistencies for authors.

/ Jonas