On 10/1/09 00:37, Ian Hickson wrote:
On Fri, 9 Jan 2009, Ben Adida wrote:
Is inherent resistance to spam a condition (even a consideration) for
HTML5?

We have to make sure that whatever we specify in HTML5 actually is going
to be useful for the purpose it is intended for. If a feature intended for
wide-scale automated data extraction is especially susceptible to spamming
attacks, then it is unlikely to be useful for wide-scale automated data
extraction.

I've been looking at such concerns a bit for RDFa. One issue (shared with HTML in general I think) is user-supplied content, eg. blog comments and 'rel=nofollow' scenarios). Is there any way in HTML5 to indicate that a whole chunk of Web page is from an (in some to-be-defined sense) untrusted source?

I see http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#link-type-nofollow

"The nofollow keyword indicates that the link is not endorsed by the original author or publisher of the page, or that the link to the referenced document was included primarily because of a commercial relationship between people affiliated with the two pages."

While I'm unsure about the "commercial relationship" clause quite capturing what's needed, the basic idea seems sound. Is there any provision (or plans) for applying this notion to entire blocks of markup, rather than just to simple hyperlinks? This would be rather useful for distinguishing embedded metadata that comes from the page author from that included from blog comments or similar.

Thanks for any pointers,

cheers,

Dan

--