Bruce Lawson wrote:
This may already be in the spec, but I couldn't find it.

I think the spec should explicity require UAs to provide a mehanism to
mute audio and to pause video, even if the controls attribute is not set.

This would not make sense in some situations e.g. for a UA designed to play in-store video adverts (which I hate by the way :) ). In general the spec does not and should not mandate or constrain UI, although it does sometimes make suggestions (in general I am rather against this because the people that are good at writing technical specifications are rarely the same people who are good at designing UI, so such suggestions are often not that great. And UI is an area in which browsers should be allowed to compete).