http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/rendering.html#punctuation-and-decorations says this:

"The wbr element is expected to override the 'white-space' property and always provide a line-breaking opportunity."

Why is this desirable? It seems to contradict what CSS3 Text is trying to define in terms of how the various word-wrapping properties interact: "text-wrap:none" (which some white-space values set) is really meant to be no line breaks except forced ones (and <wbr> is not a forced break at all).

Unless there are very strong reasons for this, I would propose that this text be removed and <wbr> be considered like any other line-breaking opportunity (spaces, &shy;, word separator characters, etc, etc).

In terms of compatibility, WebKit seems to do what the spec says right now, while Trident (IE9), Presto (Opera 11), and Gecko (trunk) don't break on <wbr> in "white-space: nowrap". So if there are web compat issues, they're more likely to arise with the spec's suggested behavior, I would guess.

-Boris