On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 22:01:37 +0200, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalm...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 4:20 AM, Philip Jägenstedt <phil...@opera.com>

As for the solution, are you suggesting that .itemValue return a special
object which is like HTMLElement in all regards except for how it
toString()s?

Yes.

Currently, it's spec'd as returning the element itself. This isn't terribly useful, at least I've just checked e.itemScope and then accessed e.properties directly rather than going through e.itemValue.properties. Given this, a simpler fix would be to let .itemValue act like .textContent when an itemscope attribute is present.

Still, I'm not sure if it's a good idea. It makes the Microdata model kind of odd if a property is both an item and has a fallback text representation. It will also mask the fact that a text property has been upgraded to an item, somewhat decreasing the chance that the consuming code will be updated.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer