why is it so big? complete wicket is 1.5 so only some date manipulations are
1/3th?

johan

Hi all,

For those who don't know, Joda Time: http://joda-time.sourceforge.net/
is a *much* better replacement of the Java date and time APIs it many
ways (see their 'why Joda time section'). Also, Joda time will be the
basis of JSR 310 (http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=310).

Date/ time handling wouldn't normally be part of Wicket's
responsibility, wouldn't it be the fact that our date related
components suffer from the JDKs API being bad. I wrote some components
and a converter based on Joda time that work better than the current
ones we have. The most important feature of those components is that
they take the client's time zone into account. I've tried to write
them against the normal date/time API, but got so sick of battling it
that I gave up. And as soon as I adopted Joda time (which we were
already using for our project), it worked superb!

My proposal is to include Joda time as a dependency of the wicket core
project. I know *any* extra dependency raises eyebrows and I feel
great about Wicket hardly having any dependencies at the moment.
However, I feel this library is so good and could improve our core
components and converters so much that it is worth having the extra
dependency.

Joda time is a maven 2 project, is Apache 2.0 licensed,  and version
1.4 is 512KB.

Your thoughts/ votes?

Eelco