for eelco: you had to disable both methods! (objectToByte and byteToObject)
For now i enabled both so that it gets tested as much as possible the coming
few days

Ok, we can keep it in for a few days, but it has to improve quite a
bit before it's ready for real world use.

* Does your code anonymous and local class instances and traverse
parents? Not from what I can see as you're basically doing normal
introspection, right?
* Externalizable is not supported yet?
* Whenever you put objects in a hashSet/Map you'll need to be ready to
catch exceptions. Wicket was trying to serializale some Hibernate
objects in my app (which it shouldn't, but that's exactly what I'm
trying to diagnose) and they throw exceptions in some occasions when
they are trying e.g. to use a lazy connection. If fact, we (me for the
diagnostics thinghy as well) probably should just use identity
directly.
* The code depends on SUN code directly. I'm wondering if we can even
do that considering our license, but I'm also wondering how quick
that'll fail. The diagnostics class depends on some quasi internals -
quasi because they are package private but at least they are part of
the normal JDK and seem unlikely to chance - and has a fall back when
it recognizes it is not available. It also seems that if for whatever
reason our custom serialization wouldn't be available, that's
currently bad luck for the client as it just won't work then.
* It needs a lot of improvement for error reporting
* Document soon please. Or it doesn't get done at all.

Eelco